海滩 & 游泳
Beach hop from the scenic shores of popular McCarty’s Cove to some of hg6668皇冠登录’s more secluded sandy 海滩es. With access to Lake Superior—the grea测试 of the Great Lakes, and plenty of local waterfalls, inland lakes, and other ways of splashing around, you won’t want to miss out on all the fun hg6668皇冠登录 County has to offer. Here is your insider’s guide to hg6668皇冠登录’s 海滩es and coastline.
During the summer, sunbathers flock to McCarty’s Cove for its expansive views of Lake Superior. This popular 海滩 is located near downtown and home to the hg6668皇冠登录 Harbor Lighthouse. With lifeguard supervision during peak season, this 海滩 is a great option for families. The 海滩 also hosts volleyball nets, so be sure to get in a game or two with your friends.
Melt under the sun at hg6668皇冠登录’s laid-back 南海滩. 南海滩 coasts Lake Superior, offering its visitors views of the hg6668皇冠登录 skyline and southern hills. This 海滩 is a family favorite, with local lifeguards present throughout the summer and a shallow shelf great for supervising your young ones. This 海滩 also offers accessibility options, parking, and restrooms on the 海滩.
Little Presque Isle Beach
Looking to escape the crowd? Drive 15 minutes northwest of hg6668皇冠登录 and you will find Little Presque Isle Beach. This 海滩 is perfect for a lazy day or evening dip, with views of the endless Lake Superior horizon. The 海滩 also offers access to nearby hiking trails if you are looking to explore the local wilderness and rugged shoreline cliffs.
Au Train Beach
Au Train Beach is a quick 25-minute ride off M-28 with the best dunes in central UP. Au Train 海滩 is the perfect 海滩 to witness Lake Superior’s natural beauty. With access to the Au Train River, visitors are free to splash around the shallow outlet before going for a dip in the chilly Lake Superior. This 海滩 is rarely overcrowded and offers parking near the 海滩 entry, making it perfect for small groups to celebrate the hot summer days.
LAKE SUPERIOR SAFETY TIPS
Whether it’s your first time in Superior or a yearly tradition, the big lake can change quickly and must be respected.
1. Swim where there are lifeguards. Never swim alone. Before entering the water, make sure someone knows you are doing so.
2. Check the City of hg6668皇冠登录 website’s 海滩 flag advisory system before swimming in Lake Superior. Flags are put up at 南海滩, McCarty's Cove, Middle Beach, and Picnic Rocks to indicate dangerous to highly dangerous rip current conditions. Also, check the National Weather Service's Rip Current Forecast.
3. Rock formations are a likely place to find dangerously strong rip currents. This includes the Picnic Rock area, which is located on Lake Shore Boulevard, near the Lakeview Arena and a short walk from campus. Do not swim in this area. Move down the 海滩 to McCarty’s Cove where lifeguards are located.
4. Know how to “break the grip of a rip.” Learn more from the National Weather Service at http://ripcurrents.美国国家海洋和大气管理局.政府 and see below.
5. If you see someone caught in a rip current, going into the rip current area yourself is not the best solution.
6. Strong winds on Lake Superior that create huge waves are amazing to see and photograph, 但他们, 太, can be deadly. Do not go into the water or out onto the breakwall at Presque Isle Park during high winds.